The Vallarta, Revealed

All the time and effort has finally paid off. Scroll down to see my completed project: the Vallarta.

This is how it looked on Friday, before being grouted.


And here it is after being grouted. It definitely takes a while to get the consistency of the grout correct if you've never done it before. Let me just be the first to say that 2-3 tablespoons of water to each 1/2 cup of grout is totally the wrong ratio, as per the instructions on the container.





I didn't have any tea lights handy, so I found a flashlight and used it to take these pictures to give a better idea of what it will look like illuminated. This first shot is my favorite.






Below, with the Vallarta in the background, a new as-yet-unnamed design is previewed here for the first time. I was a little cranky on Friday (cough-hangover-cough) and had second thoughts about this whole project. Those damn leaves were getting on my nerves because they kept coming out too big. This was pretty much an accident. Note the darker green glass on the new piece. It's more of an evergreen color, which I bought last month. I'm running out of the lighter color, so I've decided that for the sake of consistency, future Vallartas will have this color until I acquire more of the original color.



Below, the Vallarta is shown supervising the production of its offspring. Unfortunately, I've also run out of that aqua color for the ocean, so I've left it out of these.



I had a lovely accident today. I decided that maybe things would move faster if I cut all the pieces beforehand and carefully placed them in their locations with tweezers. Then I would glue them all at once. Previously, I'd do small sections at a time, alternating between cutting glass and gluing them down.

The result was impressive, so I started gluing from the corner, one tile at a time.

After a few minutes, I forgot that they weren't all glued (memory like a goldfish), and I picked it up, spilling everything to the floor. I was thisclose to slitting my wrist with a shard of glass.

A few, final, cheesy words for tonight.

I've always thought of myself as someone who never finishes what they start. Someone who throws his hands up in defeat when faced with something seemingly impossible. Some might call this laziness, but I think it's because growing up, people would always squash my artistic side.

The positive feedback I've received from so many people since the very beginning is what drives me. Whenever I think I can't do it, I think of them, clearing a space on their coffee table in the hopes of someday owning a Vallarta, and I get back to work.

I'd like to thank all my friends, coworkers and family members who have encouraged me to keep going.

3 comments:

Hamamama said...

Bravo, Chris!! These look amazing -- you really should be proud of yourself. I cant wait to see a finished product in person!

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela said...

Chris, the final result looks really great!!! Kudos to you for seeing your project through...